Hepatitis A Immunization Requirements:
For the 2018-2019 school year, all students in Kentucky schools will be required to have the Hepatitis A vaccination series.
- Please note that this is a 2-dose vaccine that must be given 6 months apart.
- Your student will NOT be permitted to attend school in the fall without documented proof of this Hepatitis A series on a valid KY Immunization Certificate. (Again, this series consists of 2 doses!)
Steps to take now:
- Call your pediatrician to verify that your student has already received the Hepatitis A vaccine
- If you find out from the doctor's office that your child HAS HAD the vaccine, you will then need to contact the school to confirm that the immunization form on file documents/reflects the same information. If not, you will need to secure an updated form from your doctor and resubmit it to the school
- If you find out that your child DOES NOT have the vaccine, you will want to make arrangements to begin this series right away. Since the vaccine is a series - you will have to start shot #1 no later than the end of January, in order to get the second vaccine in enough time to start the school year. The school must have an updated certificate after the Hepatitis A series is complete.
The letter from the KY Cabinet for Health and Family Services, regarding the recent amendment to immunization schedules, is attached:
/userfiles/1393/my files/hep a elementry school letter.pdf?id=577943