"10 Tips for Parents"
Here are 10 ways to support learning at home.
- Make reading a fun adventure by reading aloud to your child each evening.
- Ask and answer questions about the books you read together. Take turns asking and answering such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how. Help your child find evidence in the text that supports the answers.
- Choice is a powerful motivator. Let your child choose a book that inspires him or her. Suggest topics or books that you think will be of special interest.
- Nonfiction books, in particular, feed young, curious minds. They also help kids develop knowledge and vocabulary.
- Make connections between words, ideas and events. Look for the rich connections in nonfiction and literary texts—big ideas and details, causes and effects, and steps in a process. For example, ask your child to explain the different stages an animal goes through as it grows up.
READ MORE +